Accessibility Grant Guidelines
Jumpstart will provide grants up to $50,000 for projects designed to help organizations enable general accessibility within their facilities so recreation programs and/or services can be accessed. (i.e. renovations, retrofits or construction of community facilities and venues)
Eligible Expenditures (include, but aren't limited to):
- Renovations to widen hallways or doorways that are too narrow for a child using a wheelchair, electric scooter, or walker.
- Installing elevators, lifts, or pool pods.
- Building accessible walkways between outdoor amenities at a recreation facility (i.e., between tennis courts, pools, playgrounds, and parks).
Inclusive Design Innovation Grants
Jumpstart will provide grants between $100,000 and $1,000,000 for projects designed to enhance existing building plans for sport and recreation spaces with uniquely innovative solutions for inclusion and accessibility for children of different abilities.
- Upgrading a recreational field to be fully accessible and inclusive (i.e., upgrading a baseball field to be a Challenger baseball field).
- Installing a ceiling-track lift system for a seamless, accessible travel path.
- Enhancing capital project plans for rinks to make them fully accessible and inclusive for para-hockey use.
- Adapting recreational facilities to accommodate sensory and invisible disabilities (i.e., creating a sensory room as an outlet for children who may have heightened sensory experiences while participating in group activities).
- Enhancing plans for a new field house or indoor gym by ensuring that flooring surfaces, court dividers, and change rooms are all universally accessible.
Where possible, applicants should demonstrate evidence of matching funds or in-kind support from federal, provincial, territorial, and/or municipal governments.
For more information about eligible expenses, please review our detailed Eligibility Criteria Guidelines.
Applications must be submitted between November 30, 2018 and February 15, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EST).
Late applications will not be accepted.
All applicants will be contacted by May, 2019.
HOW ARE JUMPSTART ACCESSIBILITY GRANTS APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED?