One in three Canadian families cannot afford to enrol their children in sport or recreation activities (Vision Critical 2011). That means that many kids are missing out.
Canadian Tire Jumpstart is dedicated to removing barriers, so children can participate in organized sport and recreation.
We see it as equipping kids for life, because participation in organized sport and recreation increases a child’s chance for success in life.
They discover and participate. They gain self-confidence. They develop self-esteem. They learn leadership skills. Their lives become richer. This is the power of Canadian Tire Jumpstart.
Help us give kids a sporting chance! Donate today
Canadian Tire Jumpstart is a national charitable program that helps financially disadvantaged kids participate in organized sport and recreation. We help cover registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
We have an extensive, national network of 332 local chapters. Chapter members are volunteers who are committed to helping get kids active and healthy. They work in partnership with other local non-profit organizations to discreetly identify kids with the greatest need in their community. Canadian Tire Jumpstart then covers registration, equipment and/or transportation costs to help them participate in a sport or recreational activity of their choice.
We also lend support to unique initiatives aimed at increasing access to sport and recreation programs.
Since our launch in 2005, Canadian Tire Jumpstart has given more than 540,000 kids across Canada the chance to play.
Our growing national network of 332 local chapters play a key role in making the Canadian Tire Jumpstart program successful. Each chapter is volunteer-based and includes representatives from Canadian Tire stores, Canadian Tire dealers and petroleum agents, a variety of non-profit organizations and charities, and community leaders. Collectively, they work with over 2,500 organizations across Canada (including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Canadian Parks and Recreation Association and YMCA-YWCA) to discreetly identify financially disadvantaged children that might benefit from the program. This model helps us ensure that the funds are directed to those who need it most. To find a local chapter, contact 1-877-616-6600.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Canadian Tire Jumpstart a charitable organization?
- Yes. Canadian Tire Jumpstart is a registered charity (#1379 29 451 RR 0002).
How is Canadian Tire Jumpstart funded?
- As a registered charity, Canadian Tire Jumpstart receives donations and sponsorships from a wide variety of sources.
- Anyone can make a donation to the program. Last year, we received donations from: young children who donated their birthday party money; customers who donated in memory of a loved one; Canadian Tire employees and business partners who participated in fundraising events; and government partners who provided grants in support of youth and active living initiatives.
- Funds are also raised through a variety of local events and national in store fundraisers at Canadian Tire, Canadian Tire gas bars, Mark’s, Sport Chek and PartSource.
- In addition, Canadian Tire Corporation lends its support by helping fund the program’s administrative costs.
What percentage of customer donations go to Canadian Tire Jumpstart?
- 100% of customer donations go directly to help kids in financial need participate in organized sport and recreation.
- Canadian Tire Corporation funds all the general and administrative expenses as well as the program delivery of the Canadian Tire Jumpstart program.
- Make a donation today.
How is the Canadian Tire Jumpstart program delivered?
- Canadian Tire Jumpstart has a network of more than 332 local chapters across Canada.
- Chapter members are volunteers committed to helping kids get active including Canadian Tire dealers and petroleum agents, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Parks and Recreation, and the YMCA-YWCA. Together, these community leaders discreetly identify financially disadvantaged children that might benefit from the program.
- The total funding that each qualified child can receive in any one submission period (e.g., spring/summer for baseball, fall/winter for hockey) will vary based on Chapter budgets and demand. Grants are provided directly to the non-profit or charitable organization coordinating the sport or recreational activity on behalf of the qualifying child. Since each child’s financial needs are unique, Canadian Tire Jumpstart’s grant goes towards equipment, registration and/or transportation costs.
Who does Canadian Tire Jumpstart help?
- Canadian Tire Jumpstart helps financially disadvantaged kids ranging in age from 4 to 18.
- Potential Canadian Tire Jumpstart program recipients are selected through local chapters.
What kind of organized sport and recreation activities are included?
- Children select their own activities reflecting their individual interests and physical needs. We have supported involvement in 73 sports and recreation activities including: hockey, swimming, soccer, basketball, dance, yoga, climbing and martial arts.
How can I lend my support to Canadian Tire Jumpstart?
- Make a donation.
- Host your own event in support of Canadian Tire Jumpstart.
- Support a fundraising event for Canadian Tire Jumpstart.
- Shop at Canadian Tire on Jumpstart Day.